Job Title: Executive Director, State Alliance of Michigan YMCAs
FLSA Status: Exempt Job Code & Grade: (unique to Y)
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Revision Date: 1.25.2022
The Executive Director (ED), in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), manages the State Alliance of Michigan YMCAs a resource delivery system for Michigan YMCAs. The ED provides direct technical assistance to Michigan YMCAs in a range of capacities, including but not limited to strategic planning, board development, alliance networks, mergers/collaborations, operational assessments, community needs assessments, CEO onboarding, general resource referrals and assistance. Additionally, the ED supports the resource referral function of the Service Delivery Hub, assisting with resource referrals for Michigan YMCAs.
The role of the ED complements and may at times duplicate the resource delivery roles of the State Alliance CEO, Service Delivery Partners, outside vendors, YMCA of the USA, and other network partners. The ED will serve as a primary point of contact for Michigan Ys for direct access to association resources, and for assistance in accessing the full range of association resources.
- Build organizational capacity of Michigan YMCAs through technical assistance and the delivery of direct services, including:
- Strategic Planning
- Board Development and Governance
- Shared Services, Collaborations, Mergers
- Management Agreements
- Early Intervention for Struggling Ys
- Operational Assessments
- Community Needs Assessments
- Serve as the primary contact for Michigan Ys to access services provided by Service Delivery Partners, third party providers, YMCA of the USA, or directly through the State Alliance, as appropriate, including the following categories:
- Financial Assessments
- Fund Development
- Human Resources
- Marketing and Communications
- Membership/Program Development
- Operational Assessments
- Project Management
- CEO/CVO Onboarding Assistance
- Capital Development Planning
- Lead a committee of Alliance staff and volunteers to facilitate Leaders’ meeting.
- In conjunction with the CEO oversee financial operations of the State Alliance.
- Participate in Y-USA Alliance partner activities.
- Serve as an Alliance resource to the Michigan Camping network
- Identify emerging resource and needs and develop implementation strategies
- Participate as a member of the senior leadership team of the State Alliance
- Participate in strategic planning for the State Alliance.
YMCA Competencies (Organization Leader)
Collaboration: Developing Others, Influence and Inclusion
Critical Thinking & Decision Making: Makes informed decisions based on logic, data, and sound judgment
Fiscal Management: Manages the Y’s resources responsibly and sustains the Y’s nonprofit business model
Functional Expertise: Executes superior technical skills for the role
Innovation: Creates and implements new and relevant approaches and activities that improve and expand the Y’s work and impact in the community
Program/Project Management: Ensures program or project goals are met and intended impact occurs
Developing Self & Others: Develops self and supports others (e.g., staff, volunteers, members, program participants), both formally and informally, to achieve their highest potential
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent competency required.
- At least 5 years of experience in a senior YMCA leadership role.
- Extensive experience facilitating or participating at a high level in strategic planning processes and discussions.
- Demonstrated experience advising on or implementing Board Governance strategies.
- Experience with or demonstrated knowledge of collaborations, service agreements, mergers, acquisitions, and dissolutions for YMCAs.
- Experience in developing, implementing and managing YMCA programs.
- Familiarity with YMCA marketing, fund development and membership development.
- Familiarity with operational issues for facility-based and non-facility YMCAs.
- Proven ability to lead change and adapt well to new situations, obstacles and opportunities.
- Exceptional project management skills.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently as an active and engaged member of a team.
- Respectful of and responsive to different communication styles of colleagues.
- Understands the importance of and places high value on diversity and inclusion.
- Available to travel up to 50% of the time, with occasional travel to other states.
- Commitment to the Ys character values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
This position works remotely from a home office within Michigan. Business travel is likely. A company laptop computer and other necessary home office equipment and supplies will be provided, with the option of using personal equipment.
Salary range of $90,000-$120,000 per year, depending on qualifications. Health and retirement benefits are provided.
Please send your resume and a cover letter describing how your experience and knowledge correlate with the responsibilities of the position to email@example.com
The position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit applications promptly.
A list of at least four (4) professional references will be requested of applicants as part of a post-offer background inquiry.
State Alliance of Michigan YMCAs is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service, member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.