We believe that all kids deserve the opportunity to discover who they are and what they can achieve. That is why, through the Y, thousands of youth today are cultivating the values, skills, and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health, and educational achievements.
Specifically, Michigan YMCAs support early youth development efforts, including affordable childcare, after-school programs, literacy, and active play.
- The Y supports expanding eligibility criteria, access, and increasing funding for the Great Start Readiness Program so that Michigan's most vulnerable children are served.
- The Y supports preventing obesity by utilizing the coordinated school health model, which supports physical, mental, and nutritional services for school children.
- The Y supports healthy children and encourages improving nutritional standards, increasing required physical activity, and limiting screen time in early childcare settings and after school programs.
- The Y supports changes within the 2016 State Budget that increased child care reimbursement rates and provided for a minimum eligibility period of one year. This change will allow Y childcare programs to have greater population stability and to provide services for more families.
In communities across the state, the Y is a leading voice for health and well-being. With a mission centered on balance, the Y brings families closer together, encourages good health, and fosters connections through fitness, sports, fun and shared interests. As a result, thousands of youth adults, and families are receiving the support, guidance, and resources needed to achieve greater health and well-being for their spirit, mind, and body.
Specifically, Michigan YMCAs support efforts and legislation to fight obesity, encourage physical activity for people of all ages, and address prevention as a means to help curb chronic diseases.
- The Y supports using local initiatives and coalitions to address the issues related to curbing chronic diseases in our communities.
- The Y supports prevention and health education programs coordinated with healthcare service providers to help reduce chronic diseases and achieve a healthy weight for Michigan residents.
- The Y supports legislation to increase protection for the vulnerable users on our streets and roadways.
- Michigan YMCAs support improving access to fresh and nutritious foods for Michigan families.
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AND COMMUNITY SUPPORT:
The Y has been listening and responding to our communities most critical needs for 160 years. Whether developing skills or emotional well-being through education and training, welcoming and connecting diverse demographic populations, or building healthier communities, the Y fosters the care and respect all people need and deserve. Through the Y, volunteers, donors, leaders, and partners across our communities are empowering thousands of people to be healthy, confident, connected, and secure.
Specifically, Michigan YMCAs support tax exemption for non-profit entities that provide a community benefit.
- The Y supports the creation and passage of Shared Use Agreements to address community health needs through the use of public/private partnerships.
- The Y supports consistent regulatory standards for school based programs to promote safe, efficient, and accessible out of school time services for children.
- The Y supports programs that promote educational success through after school and early learning programs.
- The Y supports programs that help close the summer learning gap, to which children from low income families are most vulnerable.